SMILE Eye Surgery
The SMILE eye surgery is a short form for Small Incision Lenticular Extraction. It is a highly advanced technology of blade-free laser vision correction, with even more precision than Femto-LASIK procedures that are widely done.
While Femto-LASIK surgery still uses a laser procedure to create the corneal flap, SMILE does not have any need of the corneal flap. The surgeon performs the procedure without having any effect on the cornea cells, inflicting hardly any pain or discomfort during or after the surgery is done. SMILE is different from previous treatment methods because it is a one-laser surgery. Unlike LASIK or PRK, the reshaped cornea improves the vision of the patient.
It is a fully automated next-generation procedure that is completed in a short time to give long-lasting and stable results. The chances that a patient might require retreatment are very low in comparison to other blade-free LASIK procedures.
Those who have a stable power and want to get rid of specs or contact lenses can get SMILE vision correction. It is used most for correcting myopia, showing excellent results and improved vision. Aside from myopia, it can also be used to treat mild astigmatism, with cylindrical power up to -0.5 only.
Why SMILE Surgery ? All Laser + Bladeless
Flapless + Minimal Invasion
What is Contoura & Personalised LASIK?
Wavefront & Topography maps are used to guide treatments improve results of LASIK.
This personalized treatment has been around for a decade and continues to be marketed in different avatars like "Contoura LASIK". The treatment however requires a flap & hence carries the same safety profile as LASIK.
It also does not offer the minimally invasive flap free approach like SMILE.
Personalised LASIK techniques like Contoura uses the excimer laser only unlike SMILE which works on the most advanced femtosecond laser platform.
SMILE V/S Blade-Free LASIK & Contoura Comparision
Smile is a Pin-hole minimally invasive corneal surgery
Is SMILE surgery safe?
The latest and advanced SMILE procedure is safe and effective in correcting eye problems. This extraction surgery has been done since 2012 and has been done officially in the US since 2016. It is now an FDA approved procedure done on patients from the ages of 18 to 40 years. SMILE is performed only after the tests are done to gauge the condition of the eye. Centre for Sight ensures safe practices for all its testing and treatments, as is the case for SMILE eye surgery.
- Less Invasive
- The incision made during SMILE is only 2mm wide, far less invasive than the 20mm one made in LASIK or the 8mm one done during PRK procedures. This also reduces the disturbance that corneal nerves suffer in other surgical procedures.
- Another point in favour of SMILE is that there are almost no post-surgery complications because no corneal flap was created in the operation. With overall better cornea biomechanics, this key-hole surgery ensures speedy recovery of the patient.
- Blade-free and Painless
- Your eye is anaesthetized before the surgery and then prevented from blinking or closing with the help of a speculum. The surgeon utilizes Femto laser technology to create precise lenticular surfaces in the cornea and later removing the lenticule through the incision.
- Quicker Surgery & Recovery
- The whole process is finished under 15 mins, with the laser being used only for a small time and the patient left without any discomforts. The patients are free to go back home after being checked by their doctor once again after the surgery.
- Better Results
- The SMILE eye surgery technology was specially devised to lessen the occurrence of dry eyes along with reduced strength of cornea. It is suggested in a number of surveys that it helps in resolving issues that people have previously suffered from.
The recovery from SMILE surgery is slower than the recovery from LASIK or other similar procedures. It is due to this, patients often miss out on the instantaneous experience of seeing better in just half an hour of a laser vision correction operation. With highly sophisticated technology and infrastructure that Centre for Sight offers, the patients get the best service and care.
Facts About SMILE
SMILE Eye Surgery Doctors
At Centre for Sight, we have one of the best team of doctors, surgeons, consultants and other staff for your treatment. Through thorough testing, the condition of the patient’s eye is diagnosed with accuracy and then the correct treatment is suggested. The patient is also informed that whether the mentioned surgery can be done or not. Subsequently, patients for SMILE surgery are assigned to the doctors & specialists working with us.
Along with SMILE, these doctors specialise in various fields like LASIK & Refractive Surgery, Cornea Services, Ocular Surface & Dry Eyes Disorders, Computer Vision Syndrome, Paediatric Ophthalmology & Squint, Cataract and Glaucoma services.
SMILE surgery treatment and consultation are available at many of our centres in the cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Indore, Hyderabad, Agra, Meerut and Moradabad. Contact us and get the best treatment and improved vision with our help.