Femto LASIK (also known as Femtosecond-assisted laser in-situ keratomileusis) is a type of laser eye surgery developed in the early 1990s to resolve vision problems by reshaping the size of the cornea. Keep reading to know everything about it!
Femto LASIK Procedure
- You will be taken to the procedure.
- Numbing drops will be placed into your eyes. Your eyelids will be kept open using a machine called Eye Speculum.
- Suction is applied over your pupil using a suction ring and a glass lens is used to flatten the cornea so that the procedure can take place.
- The Laser is positioned on the surgical area which creates a flap in the surface of the cornea and the suction is released.
- Ultraviolet rays are used to reshape the cornea into the required form to resolve your refractive error problem.
- Finding an expert Lasik surgeon
Femto LASIK Complications
Like every other medical procedure, there is a list of risks associated with this surgery. Here are the main risks:
- Temporary discomfort and vision disturbances:
Discomfort is normal during the first few days or weeks after the surgery. You might suffer from some irritation in the eye, light sensitivity, dry eye, and hazy vision. In the majority of the cases, however, these disturbances are temporary and go away within three to six months after getting surgery.
- Complications related to flap:
The Femto LASIK procedure includes the creation of a thin flap to help UV rays reach your cornea. In most cases, the flap will heal in place without needing stitches but in a few cases (0.3% to 5.7%), it doesn’t heal back to its place which causes flap complications such as Irregular Astigmatism, Epithelial Growth, Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis, and Keratectasia.
- Eye Infection:
Eye Infections are very rare after Femto LASIK and you can further decrease the risk by using medicated eye drops as directed by the doctor.
Femto LASIK Recovery Time
Recovery time may vary from person to person, but in most cases, it takes about three to six months to recover after the surgery. You will be required to wear an eye shield for 24 to 48 hours. You will also need to have some follow-up appointments with your surgeon. The prescribed eye drops should be taken accordingly to minimize the chance of getting an infection. Activities such as swimming, sports, etc. should be avoided as much as you can, and stay away from beauty products like lotions, creams, and cosmetics for at least a month after surgery.
Why Centre for Sight?
Now that you know all about Femto LASIK, you must be wondering where you should go for the surgery. The answer to your question is simple- Centre for Sight. We are one of the leading groups of eye hospitals in India. Here at CFS, we aim at giving you maximum assistance right from your first consultation and throughout your treatment.
Article: Femto LASIK Surgery: Procedure & Recovery
Author: CFS Editorial Team | Sept 10 2021 | UPDATED 07:00 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.