Do you know that the food you eat can actually have an impact on your eye health? In fact, many doctors believe that foods rich in vitamins C and E, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids are extremely good for the eyes as they can help maintain vision as you age. So, if you’re wondering what to add to your grocery list, keep reading to know all the best foods for eye health.
Best foods for eye health
Some of the best foods for eye health are as follows:
- Foods rich in Vitamin C: Vitamin C is known for helping protect cells in our body from extensive damage. You can increase your Vitamin C intake by adding foods like oranges, kiwifruit, grapefruit, tomatoes, strawberries, red and green peppers, and broccoli to your diet.
- Foods rich in Vitamin A: Many experts believe that foods rich in vitamin A are among the best foods for eye health as Vitamin A helps prevent the loss of vision and blindness. You can add spinach, kale, carrots, egg yolks, and dairy products to your diet to increase your intake of Vitamin A.
- Foods rich in lutein and zeaxanthin: Lutein and zeaxanthin are two nutrients that are often referred to as macular pigments, meaning they are good for your eyes (specifically the centre of the retina, which is known as the macula). Add sweet corn, red grapes, egg yolk, spinach, parsley, swiss chard, pistachios, kale, and green peas to your diet to get more of these nutrients in your body.
- Foods rich in Vitamin E: Vitamin E is essential for keeping your tissues strong and healthy, and this can prevent vision loss by strengthening the eye tissues. Add sunflower seeds, avocados, almonds, and olive oil to your diet.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids: EPA(eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA(docosahexaenoic acid) are two types of Omega-3 fatty acids that are considered to be good for the eyes as they are already naturally present in the eye tissues. Ensure you include fish oils in your diet, however, if you are a vegetarian, you can always take Omega-3 supplements after consulting with your doctor.
Are there food groups that can harm your vision?
While we all may know that certain foods are considered the best foods for eye health, what about the worst ones? It is believed that simple carbohydrates (like the ones in pasta and white bread) are linked with Age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
Similarly, processed meats may cause an increase in salt in your blood, leading to hypertension down the line. High blood pressure can cause problems with your vision as it is linked with various eye diseases such as glaucoma and AMD.
Fried food, margarine, unhealthy cooking oils, ready-to-eat foods with high amounts of salt, and fizzy drinks are also associated with problems like heart disease, hypertension and type 2 diabetes, which can contribute to problems in vision as secondary ailments.
Whether you follow a healthy diet or not, it is essential to schedule regular checkups with your ophthalmologist to ensure that any budding illnesses can be dealt with before they grow too concerning or worrisome . At CFS, we are one of India’s largest chains of eye care centres and can offer you a speedy and accurate diagnosis and timely treatment. Our high-tech diagnostic centre, highly trained doctors, and ability to provide innovative solutions make us one of the top places for people to come for any eye-related issues.