The sudden spread of a virus that causes COVID-19 has sparked an alarm worldwide. The World Health Organization (WHO) describes coronaviruses (CoV) as a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.
WHO has declared the coronavirus outbreak as a global pandemic. As many countries are grappling with the rise in confirmed cases, it becomes vital to understand its signs and symptoms. It can trigger ailments like bronchitis, common cold, pneumonia, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties and can also lead to death.
How Does Coronavirus Spread?
The coronavirus is believed to be highly contagious. Anyone who comes in close contact with the affected person can also suffer from the same virus. The droplets produced when the infected person coughs or sneezes can get into the eyes, mouth or nose of the people who are in close proximity.
Coronavirus: How Eyes Are At Risk
Coronavirus can also spread from coming in contact with an object that has the virus on it. If a person touches his/her eyes, nose or mouth after touching the object that has a virus on it, then he/she may get infected. If you face any irritation in your eyes, get in touch with the eye doctor near you. It is best advised not to go to public places like a mall, an office or cinema hall, etc. to prevent its spread among the masses.
Who is at a high risk of getting sick from COVID-19?
Older people who have low immunity or those with some medical problems like diabetes, chronic bronchitis etc. are more likely to develop this severe illness. However, children can also develop this illness after experiencing symptoms like cough, fever etc.
How to prevent yourself from COVID 19?
Listed below are the ways through which you can prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose often.
- Avoid coming in direct contact with people who are sick
- Keep cleaning your hands at regular intervals. Then only touch your eyes or mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick. If you feel cough and cold, rush to the doctor
- Wear a mask to protect your face from getting in touch with any virus
- Avoid travelling
- Stay informed: Keep updated with the latest coming about this severe illness. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers general guidelines for preventing the spread of coronavirus and protecting your health.
How to keep your immune system healthy?
There are some standard health guidelines everyone should abide by to keep their immune system strong. Listed below are some healthy living strategies to keep your immune system strong.
- Eat healthy food. Your diet should be high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Don’t smoke
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid infection since harmful germs can get inside your body via, nose or mouth. It can also come in contact
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Take a multivitamin if you are not getting required nutrients from your diet
There are certain things can exacerbate the outbreak of COVID 19:
Not quarantining when sick
According to the CDC, people suffering from COVID 19 can spread the illness to others. Therefore, it recommended keeping such patients isolated in the hospital.
Seeking alternative treatments
So far, there are no vaccines for COVID-19. Don’t fall for any therapy that has not been prescribed by the doctor or is medically backed.
Rational use of PPE
WHO recommends for the sensible use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in healthcare and community settings as well as during the handling of cargo. PPE includes gloves, medical masks, face shields, goggles, gowns, aprons, respirators etc. Eye protection from coronavirus is a must.
Centre for Sight is a leading eye care provider in India. We are guided by the philosophy, ‘every eye deserves the best’. Hence we work together with pride and passion in providing personalized care to all. Reach to CFS if you feel irritation in eyes, itching, redness, tiredness, suffer from dry eyes or eye infection. CFS is dedicated to the cause of serving you with excellent eye care.