Our eyes are what enable us to see the world every day. They help us in experiencing all colours of life and seeing every single detail.
However, sometimes we can take them for granted and stop caring for them which can lead to problems with our eyes or even worse, with our eyesight.
Everyone should make it a point to take care of their eyes daily. It helps to ensure that we are free from any eyesight problems. By adhering to a daily eye care regime, you will not only have healthy eyes but also overall good health in general.
Here are some tips you can use to take care of your eyes daily.
Wear UV-Protected Sunglasses
- UV-rays emitted by the sun can have major harmful effects on our eyes over time. There are two types of UV rays that affect our vision – UV-A and UV-B.
- UA-A affects our central vision, damaging the macula, which is a part of the retina in the back of the eye. UV-B rays affect the front part of the eye that compromises of the cornea and the lens.
- We can suffer a number of diseases and sight problems resulting from exposure to the sun. Some of these diseases include macular degenration, cataract, pterygium, corneal sunburn and skin cancer.
- By wearing sunglasses which block harmful UV-rays, you can stay safe from the adverse effects caused by them.
Follow a Healthy Diet
- Sticking to a healthy and nutritious diet is beneficial for your overall health and similarly, it is also vital for ensuring good health of your eyes.
- Certain nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, copper, and beta carotene are very helpful in reducing the risk of age-related eyesight problems like macular degeneration.
- Smoking is really bad for your overall health and it is also very harmful to your eyes.
- Various studies have linked smoking to various eyesight related diseases like cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, and dry eye syndrome.
- In fact, smoking is so bad for your health that heavy smokers are 3 times more likely to get cataracts than non-smokers.
- By avoiding cigarettes and smoking in your daily life, you can ensure your eyes stay at the top of their game and suffer no health issues.
Read Also: Smoking and Its Impact on Eye Health
Follow Eye Safety Tips During Work
- For most people, work involves spending prolonged durations looking at digital screens. This causes more stress on our eyes and can lead to irritation and other physical discomforts. It is commonly known as digital eye strain or computer vision syndrome.
- Ensure you take precautions to protect your eyes from digital eye strain like following proper posture when working on the computer or taking breaks at regular intervals.
Get Regular Eye Check-Ups!
Lastly, to ensure your eyes stay healthy and fresh, remember to get regular eye check-ups done so that you any issues with your vision can be detected in its early stages. A lot of other health issues can also be indicated during a comprehensive eye test other than just problems with your eyes.