We generally tend to ignore common symptoms of eye problems, thinking that they will wear off on their own. It turns out there are specific eye problems that need special attention and eye symptoms that need to be noticed before they develop into an irreversible vision loss. Here is a list of eye problems, the symptoms associated with them, and the possible treatment:
Diabetic retinopathy is most common between diabetes 1 and diabetes 2 patients. This type of eye problem is caused when an increased level of diabetes starts to damage the blood vessels of the retina. There are two types of diabetic retinopathy:
- Non- proliferative diabetic retinopathy: This type occurs when there is leakage in the blood vessels causing the retina to swell. This is the most common type, which, if left untreated, may turn to proliferative type and lead to vision loss.
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy: Also called the advanced stage of diabetic retinopathy. This type of condition occurs when there is an abnormal growth of blood vessels in the retina. The vessels bleed in the vitreous and can cause the appearance of dark floaters. This may result in permanent vision loss if not taken care of in time.
Symptoms: You may not notice signs in the initial stages, but in the advanced stages, you will begin to notice symptoms like:
- Seeing halos and floaters
- Having a blurry or distorted vision
- Suffer from a vision that sometimes changes from blurry to clear
- The appearance of black or dark areas in your field of view
- Having poor night vision
- Noticing faded colours or washed out losing vision
The treatment depends on the level of complexity. It involves laser photocoagulation and intravitreal injections, or complicated and in advanced cases even vitreo retinal surgeries.
Commonly known as “silent thief of vision,” glaucoma is a group of eye diseases caused due to elevated pressure in the eyes. The high pressure that damages the optic nerve leads to complete vision loss. There are two types of glaucoma:
- Open-angle Glaucoma: This type comes with no warning signs and is generally painless.
- Closed-angle Glaucoma: This type occurs suddenly but comes with warning signs like redness and excruciating pain in the eye.
Though there are no early symptoms in the case of glaucoma, you must get a regular eye examination. Also, some people are at a higher risk of developing glaucoma – people above 40, people with a family history of glaucoma, and people with hypertension, migraine, or diabetes.
The treatment for glaucoma involves medication, laser procedures, and surgery.
An eye condition that is caused due to the misalignment of the eyes. The eye muscles cannot move the eyes in a parallel manner. It mostly occurs in children. Strabismus, when left untreated, can lead to amblyopia (lazy eye). Squint does not go on its own and requires special care and attention.
Depending on the type, your doctor will recommend the procedure to you. The therapy includes vision therapy to make your eye muscles stronger or surgery.
Cataract can be described as the clouding of the lens in the eyes. The main reasons for developing a cataract are ageing, overexposure to UV rays, diabetes, or injury in the eye
There are some symptoms associated with cataract, including a painless and gradual decrease in vision which may go unnoticed till later stages. Early symptoms of cataract are difficulty in recognizing faces, coloured halos around lights, and difficulty in driving at night.
The only way to treat a cataract is through surgery. Depending upon the type of cataract, your surgeon will recommend the treatment from the following types – micro-incision surgery, phacoemulsification, or robotic laser-assisted cataract surgery. You shouldn’t ignore any of the symptoms stated above. If you experience eye problems, don’t neglect it, it can lead to significant vision loss. To consult your eye problems head to Centre for Sight, which is a leading eye care service provider in Hyderabad. With the state of the art technology and a team of specialized doctors in all areas, it caters to all types of eye diseases. Centre for Sight Hyderabad is one of the best eye hospitals in Hyderabad that has been delivering best-in-class eye care services to the population of Hyderabad for many years now. The dedicated diagnosis and treatment services of the four hospitals – Banjara Hills, Kukatpally, Nampally, Basheerbagh, have restored the vision of several lives under the supervision and expertise of Dr. Santosh. We care for your eyes!