With the progression of science and technology, experts discover new connections between different body parts and how they impact each other. This often leads to the development of super-specialties within the medical community. One such super specialty is Neuro-ophthalmology.
What is Neuro Ophthalmology?
Neuro-ophthalmology is a field that came about when neurologists and ophthalmologists merged their understanding. The field studies complex systemic diseases about the nervous system and how they impact vision and eye health.
Different Neuro Ophthalmology tests used for diagnosing problems
In order to diagnose issues related to this field, doctors mainly start with a comprehensive eye exam. Then, if required, they may suggest any of the following neuro-ophthalmology tests:
- Evaluation of ocular movements to check if the eye is moving correctly
- Orthoptic evaluation to see how the nerve is functioning
- Neurological visual fields screening to see whether there are blind spots in the vision
- Diplopia charting to check whether there are discrepancies between the left and right eyes’ vision
- Evaluation of contrast sensitivity and colour vision to check for deficits
- Optical coherence tomography of the optic nerve head to check for damage
- Lumbar puncture to test the cerebrospinal fluid for infections or abnormalities
- Imaging studies including CT scan, MRI and MR venogram to see if there are tumours or other problems
What diseases fall under the branch of Neuro Ophthalmology?
The branch of neuro-ophthalmology includes the following diseases/conditions:
- Squint – This is the misalignment of the eye
- Toxic or nutritional optic neuropathy – When certain substances (such as tobacco) damage the optic nerve, leading to vision loss
- Papilledema – When the optic nerve swells up due to conditions like meningitis, tumours, and so on.
- Optic Neuritis – When there is sudden vision loss caused by damage to the optic nerve
We have a leading team of Neuro-ophthalmologists who ensure the speedy diagnosis and treatment of any condition that may be causing damage to the nerves and the eyes. As one of the country’s largest chains of eye care centres, we can assure you of effective treatment and excellent aftercare. If you feel that there’s something not right with your vision, make an appointment today.
Article: What is Neuro Ophthalmology and what diseases fall under it?
Author: CFS Editorial Team | Jan 20 2022 | UPDATED 02:00 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.