After a certain point in time, wearing spectacles becomes cumbersome. Often people wish to get away with heavy glasses. Are you thinking the same? If you are ready to bid farewell to your glasses, then get set for LASIK eye surgery. LASIK or laser-assisted in situ keratomileuses is an advanced surgery performed to treat nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), presbyopia (aging eye) and astigmatism (a common condition where irregularly shaped cornea causes blurry vision).
What happens during a LASIK surgery?
LASIK is a method of reshaping the front surface of an eye, enabling light to enter the eye and focus on the retina to eliminate the need for glasses or contact lens. Impacting the eyes with either immediate effect or a gradual development in vision, the surgery is painless and it hardly takes 15-20 mins.
The three steps of LASIK have been simplified below –
A mechanical laser tool called femtosecond is used to create a small circular flap in the cornea. The surgeon folds back the layer and has unobstructed access to the cornea.
A cold ultraviolet excimer laser performs to reshape the microscopic tissues of the cornea. The aim is to focus the light on the retina for improved vision.
The corneal flap made during the first step is laid back on the cornea and is left for healing without any stitches.
Firstly, get your eye tested to be eligible for LASIK. The doctors make an analysis of your corneal thickness, refraction, corneal mapping, eye pressure, and pupil dilation thoroughly so that you may have the best result. For LASIK surgery, one should not wear contact lenses as there are chances that the natural shape of the corneas can get manipulated while wearing lens. Do keep asking your concerns and put forth your problems to the doctor so that any discrepancy can be taken care of at any given point. During your surgery, the patient doesn’t feel any pain. After the surgery is completed, you may feel a burning or itching sensation in your eye for a while. Until the doctor confirms, avoid driving or doing any similar activity. After your LASIK, it is required to go for a few checkups until your eyes are fully recovered. It takes a while to stabilize your vision. But in case you want to surf through your LASIK smoothly, following are some tips you should follow:
- You should take rest after LASIK surgery so that the healing can be faster and much more effective.
- Make sure, you do not rub your eyes. Rubbing eyes may disturb the healing of cornea’s flap.
- It is crucial to maintain a regular follow up session with your doctor so that the progress can be reviewed and any unwanted circumstance can be avoided.
- Take a good bath but avoid splashing water directly in your eye, using soap on face, and rubbing the edges around the eyes.
- Any kind of injury is harmful. Avoid playing any sports.
- Avoid going to dusty places, swimming or doing any similar activity as unwanted substances can get into your eye.
- Wear eye protection for a couple of weeks is a good idea after LASIK. Make sure that your doctor prescribes your eye protection suitable to your needs.
- Post LASIK, eyes are very light sensitive. Therefore, it’s essential to stay in dim light, and away from direct sunlight. You may wear sunglasses in indoor and outdoor spaces.
Your eyes are weak post LASIK eye surgery, and it’s essential to take good care of them. Thus, it is highly recommended to do your research, and be prepared for little troubles, and give yourself time to heal completely. If you are willing to go for a LASIK surgery, make sure you get in touch with an experienced eye care centre like Center For Sight’s exceptional service. CFS based out of New Delhi specializes in LASIK Laser Eye Surgery and is continuously making an effort to advance the process and make it a hassle-free procedure for its patients.