While many people succeed in implementing healthy changes in their lives, they tend to forget to take any constructive steps for the health of an important organ – The eyes. These sensory organs are an important part of the body, as they connect us visually to the world.
Eyes are vulnerable to many eye diseases as they are sensitive and complex. Today’s fast-paced life and our dependence on technology are other reasons to blame for eye problems. Keeping eyesight protected against all the adversities of the modern lifestyle is also vital for an overall healthy life.
Tips for Healthy Eyes
To protect your sight and enjoy a lifetime of healthy vision, follow these 6 tips for eye health listed below:
A healthy diet, healthy eyes
Eating a well-balanced diet is important to maintain good eyesight. Including nutrients such as zinc, lutein, beta carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C and E in your diet helps avert age-related vision problems such as cataracts and macular degeneration. All these nutrients also play an important role in preserving the protecting layer of the eye. The importance of Vitamin A for eye health is common knowledge. Thus, in taking a diet rich in the above nutrients keeps your eye health in check.
Find a comprehensive list of such food items in the list below:
Berries and citrus fruits are richly sourced with vitamin C. So, add fruits like lemons, oranges, and grapefruits to your diet to prevent age-related eye problems.
Leafy green vegetables such as spinach, kale, and collard greens include lutein and zeaxanthin. The green pigmentation of these vegetables prevents macular degeneration and cataracts. Other than these, broccoli and peas are also rich in the above eye-healing nutrients duo. Carrots are a good source of Vitamin A and beta carotene, nutrients vitally healthy for eyesight.
Most fish species are rich in omega-3 fatty acids because of oil in their gut and body tissue. Tuna, salmon, trout, and mackerel are some of the types which contain this nutrient. Zinc is also helpful for the long-term health of eyes and can be found in beef in rich amounts. Also, eggs not only include lutein and zeaxanthin, but also vitamins C and E, and zinc, presenting another valuable reason to add it to diet.
Nuts, Seeds & Legumes:
Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E are present in three of them in high quantity. Eat walnuts, cashews, peanuts, lentils, chia seeds, flax seeds, often to benefit your eye health, significantly.
This fundamental beverage plays a remarkable role in eye health. Drink more water to prevent dry eyes from dehydration. It also flushes out salt in the body and keeps your eyes hydrated.
Take a break from electronic screens
Computer Eye Syndrome is a common eye disease these days caused by working on digital screens for prolonged hours. This eye problem may include symptoms like:
In order to protect eyes from the ill-effects of digital screens, make the following changes in your work regime:
- Rest your eyes every 20 minutes for 20 seconds while looking 20 feet away from the screen.
- Take a 15-minute break every two hours.
- Remember to blink frequently to keep your eyes moist naturally.
- Keep your eyes at the level of the top of the computer screen, to prevent direct gaze on the screen.
- Always wear prescribed eyeglasses while working on computers.
- Sunglasses should be used.
- Using the right type of sunglasses will protect eyes from harmful UV rays. Exposure to UV-A and UV-B rays can lead the eyes towards diseases like cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Therefore, it is important that you choose function over design when you buy sunglasses. Select those which block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays effectively. Wraparound sunglasses are a good option to protect eyes from the sides, as well.
- Necessary use of eyewear: Get yourself protective goggles or safety glasses and use them each time you play or work especially if you work with airborne or hazardous materials at home or at the job, and wear protective glasses or safety glasses every time.
- Sports that are likely to cause eye injuries should be played with necessary sports goggles.
Smoking needs to be stopped
Smoking makes you vulnerable to the development of cataract, macular degeneration and causes optic nerve damage. Dry eye is another eye problem caused by smoking. If you are smoking currently, keep trying to quit smoking until you succeed.
Visiting eye doctors once in a while is a must
Visiting your eye doctor regularly will protect your sight, detect various symptoms of cataracts and even find various eye diseases such as glaucoma, which usually has no symptoms. When these diseases are detected early, it gets easier to treat them.
- A regular physical exam is also advisable, as diseases like diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure also cause eye problems if left undetected.
- You may have to go through the following steps in a regular eye examination:
- Vision tests to figure out your eye problem
- Eye test to check the synchronicity of the eyes.
Eye pressure and optic nerve tests for glaucoma
- Questions on family and personal medical history
- Before and after dilation: external and microscopic eyes examination
Lack of sleep, staring too long on digital screens, stress, over-thinking have terrible effects on our eyes. Most of us resort to cosmetic products, especially women, to hide dark circles and marks on the face. But what if you take a proper eye massage at the end of a tiring day and soothe your eyes? Eye massage eliminates headaches, stress, relax eye muscles, and improves circulation of blood around the eyes. It also aids sound sleep.
How to get an eye massage? Have you ever tried a 30-second beauty routine? Here’s how to do it:
- Gently tap out a circle with your index and middle finger around your eyes.
- Then, slowly go a little outward along the eyebrows and inwards along your cheekbones.
- Press firmly on the pressure points under the brow bone and either side of the nose where brows start.
- Massage your temples with index and middle fingers to finish.
There are several eye exercises that have been known to help relax your eyes and improve vision. Check out these easy eye exercises here:
Whenever you blink your eyes, the brief period of darkness helps to keep your eyes fresh. You are able to focus for a longer period if you keep blinking your eyes. Blinking reduces eye strain.
Infinity loop/figure eight:
Imagine a giant figure of eight in front of you. Slowly, trace the figure of eight with your eyes. Do this exercise for a few minutes.
Through this exercise, you can relieve stress around your eyes. Place your two hands over your eyes. The palm should cover your eyes and fingers to be on the forehead. The heel of your hand should touch your cheekbone. Make sure you are able to blink freely without putting too much pressure on your eyes.
The best thing about a 30-second beauty routine is that it can be done at any time of the day. It immediately relaxes your eyes. The tapping massage can be done without messing up with your makeup too much. You can apply some cold cream at the end for a more comforting experience.
Be mindful to practice these simple tips in your daily life in order to preserve the perfect vision. Make health your foremost priority and eyes are a major part of it. Center For Sight, the best eye care centre offers comprehensive, state-of-the-art services for your eyes. Being in the eye care arena for more than two decades, CFS continues to provide good eye treatment in the best possible manner.