Several eye problems can be addressed with the help of a good pair of contact lenses. These thin, curved products are available in two variants – prescription lenses, which are meant to correct vision problems, and cosmetic lenses, which are meant to enhance the appearance of one's eye.
Types of contact lenses
Manufacturers of contact lenses produce daily disposable and extendable wear lenses. The former offers convenience to the user and ensures a decreased risk of infection. Extended wear contacts can be used for up to thirty days at length.
There is a range of other contact lenses, such as special effect lenses, scleral contacts, UV inhibiting lenses, and prosthetic lenses.
Why should you try contact lenses?
The following advantages are offered by contact lenses which make it a compelling reason to try them out –
- Reduction of discomfort to the eye caused by wearing glasses to correct vision;
- Improves the ability to focus by temporarily reducing poor distance vision;
- Convenient to use and easy maintenance;
- Non – interference while participating in sports activities and the like;
- Augments the user's look, for it can be coloured or patterned, adding to their self-esteem.
Is there any negative impact of contact lenses?
Several complications and risk factors are associated with using contact lenses. They are highlighted below –
- There are chances of serious eye infections due to improper use of contact lenses – this may even lead to blindness
- There are chances of blockage of oxygen supply to one's eye
- Extensive use of contact lenses can result in dry eyes syndrome too
- In rare instances, there might be a diminished corneal reflex, which might result in eye damage due to slow responses
- Improper cleaning and irregular replacement of lenses increase the risk of complications
- Keratitis is a painful eye infection that is linked to improper use of contact lenses
- Use of hard contact lenses can result in ptosis.
Additionally, the product has certain adverse environmental effects too, such as leaking pollutants into the soil or water, low recyclability adding to microplastic contamination, etc.
How do you maintain contact lenses?
If you are wondering what the best way to clean your contact lenses is, then do continue to read –
- Do not sleep with your contact lenses on
- Wash your hands in soap and water before handling the lenses
- Avoid using contact lenses while swimming or showering as water can introduce germs into the lenses
- Clean and rub the lenses only with the cleaning solution provided by the lens provider.
- Use only the fresh disinfecting solution to take care of your lenses
- Consult your health care provider in case of doubt
- Replace the lenses once every three months.
The safety of contact lenses is of utmost priority if one wishes to ensure that their eyes do not suffer due to damage to the contact lenses.
If one wishes to have access to state-of-the-art medical facilities that guarantee an improvement in their prognosis, CFS is the place to go. This super specialty eye hospital has talented doctors and well–trained medical staff that will ensure that the patient receives all the care needed to have a pleasant experience at the hospital while ensuring that the best treatment is provided.
Article: Contact Lenses: What do you need to know before buying them?
Author: CFS Editorial Team | May 05 2021 | UPDATED 03:09 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.