Paying attention to the child's eye health early will help catch problems and ensure that they are addressed while the eyes are still developing, preventing further complications. Getting the child's eyes checked at an early age is critical if their family has a history of eye problems.
Children's Eye Diseases
Common eye diseases that are observed in children are as follows –
- Refractive errors that would
Symptoms of eye diseases in children
The symptoms of possible vision problems include –
- Blurry or double vision
- Headaches or eye pain
- Trouble seeing information on the chalkboard
- Difficulty when reading and writing
- Poor school performance
- Difficulty paying attention
Kids Eye Health – Things to look out for at different ages
- Ensure that baby's eyes focus and follow objects
- Ensure that babies are seeing in three dimensions
- Ensure that the babies' eyes have turned their final colour.
- Check for misalignments in the eyes
- Get your child vaccinated for measles as it may lead to numerous complications to one's vision otherwise
- Avoid chemical burns to the child's eyes by keeping them away from cleaning products and the like.
c. School children
- Good screen time hygiene is essential
- Jerky eye movements must not be ignored
- Check for pediatric cataracts
- Red reflex caught in cameras can be seen as a warning sign of poor eye condition
- Colour blindness must be identified
- Eye injuries must be attended to at all costs
- Proper contact lenses or glasses must be opted in for
Eye specialists that will address children's eye problems
Eye tests will usually involve the following
- Inspection of the eye
- Ophthalmoscope testing
- Corneal light reflex testing
- Cover testing
- Age-appropriate visual acuity testing.
Minor eye problems must be detected and addressed at the earliest stages to prevent them from snowballing into significant disorders and eye diseases. Coming CFS will ensure that the latest diagnostic tests and procedures are used to identify these issues at earlier stages and treated appropriately. Provide the best care your child deserves at affordable costs only at Centre for Sight!
Article: Children's Eye Care: A Beginners Guide for Children's Eye Health
Author: CFS Editorial Team | May 02 2022 | UPDATED 02:00 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.