We rely the most on visual information in order to interpret the world. Therefore, keeping your eyes healthy is one of the most important things you can do. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies and home care tips that you can use to ensure you're building a daily routine that includes natural eye care. Keep reading to know what these tips are, along with a general list of dos and don'ts for eyes that you should always keep in mind.
What are 5 tips for keeping your eyes healthy?
If you want to establish a routine for natural eye care, keep in mind the following tips:
- Maintain a balanced diet: It can be hard to spare proper thought towards what you want to eat in this day and age. However, ensuring that your meals have all the right vitamins and nutrients is one of the best things you can do to keep your eyes healthy. Vitamin A, E and C are very good for the eyes, and you'll find them in foods like carrots, spinach, strawberries, bell peppers, citrus fruits, sweet potatoes and broccoli.
- Exercise regularly: Your eye health is not just impacted by diseases strictly related to the eyes - certain diseases such as Type 2 diabetes can cause vision loss by damaging the optic nerve. One way to ensure you're not damaging your eyes, in the long run, is by exercising daily to keep your weight in check and prevent diabetes from developing or becoming more serious.
- Wear sunglasses: Sunglasses are more than fashionable accessories. They are designed to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. Long term exposure to these rays may cause damage to the vision, so it's important to wear your sunglasses whenever you step out of your home.
- Limit screen time: Avoiding screens has become impossible in today's world. However, that does not mean that you should avoid giving your eyes a break. Take a 20 minute break every hour and look away from your laptop or smartphone to let your eyes rest.
- Stop smoking: Smoking can cause nerve damage, and excessive smoking has been linked with poor eye health as it can damage the optic nerve. Quitting cigarettes is one of the best things you can do to ensure long term eye health.
Some general Do’s and Don'ts for eyes
Along with the tips mentioned above, do keep in mind these dos and don'ts for eyes:
- DO: Clean your contact lenses before and after each use. If this is hard, switch to daily disposable lenses.
- DO: Wear protective glasses if you work in a lab to protect your eyes from chemical exposure.
- DON'T: Rub your eyes if they are itchy or feeling dry.
- DON'T: Sleep with your contact lenses or eye makeup on. Remove both (or whichever is applicable) before sleeping.
We are one of the largest centres for eye care in the country and we work with some of the top ophthalmologists in their fields. If you have noticed certain symptoms like blurry vision, eye pain, redness or swelling around the eyes, make an appointment with the nearest CFS clinic and get it checked out immediately.
Article: 5 Simple Tips to Keep Your Eyes Healthy Naturally | Centre For Sight
Author: CFS Editorial Team | Jan 11 2022 | UPDATED 02:00 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.