Everyone who wears glasses has at some point, wished they could get rid of them once and for all. Decades ago, this would have been a mere dream. However, there are many options when it comes to specs removal operations. These operations are considered safe and painless and have quick recovery time. As a result, you won't have to worry about taking weeks off work for your eyes to heal.
Specs removal operations can help with different eye-related problems, such as myopia, presbyopia, astigmatism, and hyperopia. Once you schedule a checkup with an ophthalmologist at CFS, you'll be informed which specific types of glass removal procedures are apt for you.
Different Types of Glass Removal Procedures
The following are some of the different types of glass removal procedures that are offered in India:
- Refractive lens exchange (RLE): This is a surgery in which a new lens is transplanted into the eye to correct the vision. To do so, the eye's natural lens is first taken out. Then, depending on your needs, a toric, multifocal and mono-focal lens will be implanted in the eyes.
- LASIK: One of the most popularly sought-after procedures, LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis), is offered in two forms - one is LASIK itself, and the other is Intra LASIK. In the former, the surgeon uses a blade to create a flap in the cornea before reshaping it. In the latter, no blade is used.
- SMILE: Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) is one of the latest forms of eye glass removal surgery. The surgeon uses a special laser to carve a lenticule in the cornea to correct the vision.
- Implantable contact lens: In this, a very thin contact lens is implanted into the eyes to correct the vision. Generally, this is offered to people with a very high number or other conditions such as a thin cornea, large pupils, and dry eyes. It is different from RLE as the natural lens is not removed before implanting the contact lens.
What to do after a Specs Removal Operation?
It is very important to take care of your eyes after a specs removal operation. Depending on the specific operation you've had, your ophthalmologist will explain what you need to do. However, here are a few tips that you should keep in mind in general:
- Avoid looking at screens
- Avoid straining your eyes in any way, like reading books or sewing
- Make sure you download a podcast or any audio entertainment so that you are not tempted to do anything else to dispel your boredom
- Stay out of the sun
- Make sure you rest properly
- Don't worry if the vision is slightly blurry. This heals over a few days, and you'll have normal vision after that
At CFS, our ophthalmologists are fully equipped to handle all types of specs removal operations, including LASIK, SMILE, RLE, and implantable contact lenses. Head down to the nearest clinic for a basic eye checkup and let our doctors answer all your queries!
Article: 4 Specs removal operations you should ask your doctor about!
Author: CFS Editorial Team | Jan 23 2022 | UPDATED 02:00 IST
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.