Tips for Maintaining Good Eye Health
The eyes are the windows to the soul and having the gift of sight is something everyone should cherish. However, with the increase in pollution, prolonged working in front of computers and other such factors lead to vision problems and other eye diseases. It is extremely crucial to take good care of your eyes to be able to see clearly and to avoid eye hazards. Here is a list of tips to follow in order to maintain proper eye health.
1. Eat your heart out: While you are doing that, make sure to include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, Vitamins and lutein. Green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, fishes like tuna, salmon and eggs, nuts etc. should be incorporated in your daily diet. This healthy diet will also help in regulating your weight and make you less viable to diabetes- a leading cause of vision loss or blindness in adults.
2. Quit your bad habits: Smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol make you more likely to be at a risk of getting cataracts, optic nerve damage and other kinds of degeneration.
3. Cover them up: Wearing the right kind of sunglasses of good quality will help protect your eyes from the sun’s UV rays as too much of exposure can make you susceptible to cataracts and macular degeneration. Polarized lenses also help in reducing glare when driving.
4. Log off for a while: Long hours of staring at the computer screen do more harm than good. It is the major cause of eyestrain, headaches and dry eyes since we also tend to blink less when staring at the computer screen. Therefore, it is advised to take rest after every 20 minutes and to focus on an object kept 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Other than that, positioning your screen in a manner that your eyes are in level with the top of the monitor will also help in reducing eye strain. Use an anti-glare screen if needed.
5. Meet your eye doctor regularly: Regular eye exams and visits can greatly help in finding out diseases such as glaucoma that have no visible symptoms. Depending on your eye health needs, you can see either an ophthalmologist once or twice in a year for a detailed eye exam. At Centre for Sight, we offer comprehensive eye care services under one roof across the country and offer all sorts of latest and advanced procedures such as Blade free cataract surgery, SMILE (Small incision lenticule extraction) and LASIK for vision correction, glaucoma management and keratoconus treatment for both adults and children.
*The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of Centre for Sight.