Dr Abha Gahlot
Specialities: Cataract Surgery
Qualifications : MBBS (1988) - GSVM Medical College, Kanpur; MS (Ophth - 1992) - GSVM Medical College, Kanpur
(a) Indian Army : 30 Aug 1995 to 26 Nov 2005
Served in the Army Medical Corps as a commissioned officer wef 30 Aug 1995 to 26 Nov 2005, after completing MS (Ophthalmology). During this period of 10 years of my service, I have worked in the capacity of Ophthalmologist in various hospitals of Indian Army.
- Military Hospital, Namkum as MO (Ophth) (30 Aug 1995 to 07 May 1996)
- Military Hospital, Allahabad as MO (Ophth) Graded specialist (Ophth) (08 May 1996 to 29 Aug 1997 & 30 Aug 1997 to 13 May 2000)
- 151 Base Hospital, Guwahati as Graded Specialist (Ophth), Classified Specialist (Ophth) (14 May 2000 to 29 Aug 2002 & 30 Aug 2002 to 07 Jan 2003)
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune & MH Kirkee as Assistant Prof & Classified Specialist (Ophth) (08 Jan 2003 to 26 Nov 2005)
Note: Military Hospital, Namkum& AFMC, Pune are recognized for UG & PG teaching by MCI)
(b) Civil: Mar 1993 to Aug 1995 & Nov 2005 to till date.
- Senior Resident (Ophthalmology) from Mar 93 to Dec 93 at Dr RR Institute of Ophthalmology, Kanpur
- Consultant Ophthalmologist from Dec 93 to Aug 95 at Hospitals/ Nursing Homes at Kanpur
- Associate Consultant from Nov 05 to Mar 06 at KK Eye Institute, Pune
- Senior Ophthalmologist from Jun 06 to Jan 09 as SD Mahabir Dal Eye Hospital, Bathinda, Punjab
- Assistant Professor from Jan 09 to Jan 10 at Saraswati Institute of Medical Sciences, Hapur
- Ophthalmologist from Jan 11 to Jun 12 at ESIS Hospital Mohan Nagar, Chinchwad, Pune
- Associate Professor from 11.06.12 to 30.06.15 at Dr DY Patil Medical College, Pimpri, Pune
- Professor from 01.07.15 to till date at Dr DY Patil Medical College, Pimpri, Pune
Dr Azadgaurav Bansal : After postgraduation from Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Kolkata, he pursued long term fellowship in Comprehensive Ophthalmology & Cornea training from LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. His areas of interest are cataract surgery, LASIK and other refractive procedures, keratoplasty, lamellar corneal procedures (DALK,DSEK,DMEK)
- MBBS (2004) – Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Banglore, Karnataka
- MS (2009) – JJM Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Bangalore, Karnataka
- Fellowship in Vitreo – Retina (Dec – 2012 to June 2014) – Dr. Shroff Charity Eye Hospital, Dryaganj, New Delhi
- Consultant, Vitreo retina at Vision eye centre, New Delhi.
- Consultant, vitreo retina at Vasan eye care hospital, New Delhi
- Long term Fellowship in vitreo retina at Dr Shroff’s Charity eye hospital, Daryaganj, Delhi
• I have pursued my training as a fellow in vitreo retina at this esteemed eye hospital. I am confident in clinical procedures like Indirect ophthalmoscopy, B-Scan ultrasound, interpretation of FFA, interpretation of OCT and ROP screening. I am competent in doing retinal lasers like PRP, laser barrage and macular lasers. I have independently performed core vitrectomies for endophthalmitis, nucleus drop and IOL dislocation. I have performed vitrectomies for retinal detachment independently. I am confident in performing scleral buckling surgery, silicone oil removal, lensectomy, membranectomy. I have performed sclera fixated IOL under supervision.
• I have also been a part of outreach programmes like screening for diabetic retinopathy
- Senior Resident in ESI Hospital, Basaidarapur, New Delhi
• I have done my senior residency at this multi specialty hospital. My work included managing clinical OPDs, emergencies, and assisting and independently performing surgeries. I have performed about 20 cataract surgeries by phacoemulsification, about 1000 by SICS/ECCE technique, 10 trabeculectomy, DCR/DCT, entropion/ectropion, etc. I have also assisted specialized surgeries like squint correction, etc.
- Assistant Professor, SMVMCH, Pondicherry
- M.S. (Ophthalmology) JJM Medical College, Karnataka
I joined the three-year basic structured training program in Ophthalmology, at this premier teaching institute, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka and graduated with Master’s Degree in Ophthalmology. It is a 1000 bedded busy tertiary hospital attached to a medical college. The department of Ophthalmology has 50 beds and 4 units, with 8 consultants.
My work involved attending the out-patient clinics, doing ward-rounds and refraction on regular basis. I was posted by rotation in different units involved in running various special clinics like glaucoma, retina and squint clinic. I also regularly assisted and performed independently various routine procedures in the OT like cataract surgery, DCR, entropion, enucleation, evisceration etc. I have independently performed about 50 ECCE, 35 SICS. I have also assisted in specialised surgical procedures like phacoemulsification, squint correction, vitrectomy and keratoplasty. I was also part of the team in organising many eye camps at our institute as well as in the periphery.
I was regularly on call duty for casualty where I was actively involved in the management of the ocular emergencies including surgical management of trauma cases.
Teaching of undergraduate students
PG entrance coaching
“Biometric investigations to know the anatomical variations in various degrees of myopia” submitted as thesis under supervision of Dr Ravindra Banakar
“Evaluation of choroidal thickness in normal eyes using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography in Indian population”
“Evaluation of choroidal thickness in eyes with anatomically closed macular hole following surgery”
Dr Monisha Bhalla: She has done M.S Ophthalmology from S.N Medical College Agra. Then she pursued long term fellowship in Comprehensive Ophthalmology & Pediatric Ophthalmology from LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. Her areas of interest are adult & paediatric cataract surgery, strabismus(squint), neuro-ophthalmology, paediatric eye diseases, amblyopia management.
Dr. Arun Kumar Sinha obtained his medical degree from Ranchi University after which he completed his specialization in Ophthalmology from Patna University. He began his career as Ophthalmic Surgeon and Medical Officer at Sitapur Eye Hospital, Sitapur Uttar Pradesh and went on to become a renowned Ophthalmologist as Managing Director and Chief Consultant at Nayandeep Eye Hospital, Muzaffarpur, Bihar. He obtained fellowship in contact lenses from Contact Lens Foundation, Calcutta. He acquired fellowship training in Phacoemulsification at Laxmi Eye Institute, Mumbai and achieved proficiency in the technique at the esteemed L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. He has recently trained in LASIK surgery with Dr. Rupal Shah at New Vision Laser Centre, Vadodara.
He is proficient in using the Phacoemulsification technique of cataract surgery for all types of cataract including brown and hypermature cataract and implantation of intraocular lenses (unifocal, multifocal, toric IOLs). He is an expert in the surgical repair of subluxated lens using CTR as well as clear lens extraction for high myopia. His surgical dexterity in cases of complicated cataract with small pupil is commendable. He is adept in the surgical management of Glaucoma (Trabeculectomy and combined Phaco-Trab). He is an experienced Cornea surgeon (Keratoplasty). He also possesses prodigious skill in surgical correction of Squint (both horizontal and oblique muscle surgeries) and Oculoplasty cases (Ptosis, DCR, Pterygium and lid repair).
Dr. Sinha has been an active community Ophthalmologist conducting more than 35000 screening camps and over two lakh cataract cases operated at outreach camps and base hospital. He has imparted Phacoemulsification training to Ophthalmologists at Nayandeep Eye Hospital, Muzaffarpur and has conducted live surgery demonstrations and workshops all over Bihar, Jharkhand and Assam. He has presented several papers and been an avid participant in several state and national Cataract and Refractive Surgery conferences.
His professional accolades include holding the prestigious position of President of Eastern India Zonal Ophthalmic Society, (EIZOS - 2006), Bihar Ophthalmic Society (BOS- 2005) and Indian Medical Association, Muzaffarpur (IMA- 1982).
Dr. Aashish Kumar Bansal has completed MBBS and MS in Ophthalmology from the Medical College, Rohtak, followed by fellowship in Cornea from the LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad and the Melbourne University, Australia; fellowship in Refractive Surgery from the Phillips Eye Institute, Minneapolis, USA; and advanced training in Artificial Cornea at the Lions Eye Institute, Perth, Australia.
Dr. Bansal’s previous experience includes working as Consultant (1992-2003) and Head of the Department of Cornea and Refractive Surgery (1998-2003) at the LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad; Senior Consultant, Cornea and Refractive Surgery and Head of the Department of Ophthalmology (2003-2013) at the Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad and Adjunct Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Rochester (2002-2008).
Refractive keratoplasty, Laser refractive surgery, refractive cataract surgery are Dr Bansal’s focus areas. He has published over 60 research papers, and has delivered over 350 lectures. He has mentored and trained over 50 cornea fellows and over 100 in cataract microsurgery and phacoemulsification.
Dr. Bansal has been honored with many awards like Achievement Award by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Joan Filipe Ferreira oration, Best Paper at the World Refractive Surgery Symposium, Vengala Rao award by the APOS. He is the only Indian to be inducted into the Board of Directors of the International Society of Refractive Surgery, and is currently the Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the APOS. He runs the popular EyEdu education program.
Dr. Ajit Babu Majji had basic medical education from the Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam, post-graduation in Ophthalmology from the RP Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi and FRCS from Glasgow. His superspecialization training in Vitreo Retinal Surgery was from R P Center, AIIMS, New Delhi and Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, USA.
Dr. Babu was previously working as faculty in Vitreo Retina Services, L V Prasad Eye Institute for over 18 years from 1993 to 2012 and the Head of the Department. He is renowned for his tender care and wonderful surgical skills. His expertise in handling complex cases is unparalleled.
His special interests are Diabetic Retinopathy and Age-related Macular Degeneration. He has published more than 50 manuscripts in prestigious peer reviewed Journals and has been invited as guest faculty in over 275 national and international conferences. He is an active member of ARVO, AAO, Vitreous Society, Club Vit, AIOS, DOS, APSOS and VRSI.
Dr. Babu has seven major awards to his credit. He has held top positions in scientific societies including Honorary Secretary of VRSI and Joint Secretary of AIOS. Currently he is the Chairman of the Academic Research Committee of All India Ophthalmologic Society and the Vice–President of the Vitreo Retina Society of India.
Fellowship - General Opthalmology & Phaco(2009-2010)
Location – Rajasthan: Jaipur
Dr Amit Gupta did his M S Ophthalmology from S M S medical college and hospital, Jaipur,Rajasthan. Post M S, he completed two years fellowship from Sankara Eye Care Institute in General Ophthalmology and Phaco.He worked as incharge and Cataract consultant at Sankar eye Institute Anand Gujarat for two years after fellowship.
Presently from last three years he is working as Associate consultant Cataract Glaucoma and Refractive surgery in Centre for Sight Jaipur.
Dr. Arindam Chakravarti graduated from Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, India securing 3rd rank under Gauhati University. He obtained his post graduate degree in Ophthalmology from S N Medical College, Agra, India followed by a 2 year Clinical Vitreo-retinal fellowship from the prestigious Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India. He has previously worked as a Vitreo-retinal consultant in Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital, Mumbai, India with internationally acclaimed vitreo-retinal surgeon, Dr S Natarajan. Besides being an experienced vitreo-retinal surgeon, he has published many scientific papers in peer reviewed international journals and authored chapters in Ophthalmology textbooks besides presenting several papers in various national and international conferences and workshops. He also worked as co-investigator in various worldwide clinical trials.
Dr. Avnindra Gupta has done his graduation and post-graduation from the prestigious Banaras Hindu University. Thereafter, he completed his fellowship in retina & vitreous from Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. After fellowship he started working there as a Consultant Retina vitreous and was subsequently promoted and was given charge of Department of Retina Vitreous at Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirunelvelli.
Dr. Gupta specializes in the field of retina–vitreous and Glued sclera fixated IOLs. He is among the few doctors to have treated the largest number of patients in world for Glued IOL. Dr. Gupta had done Instruction courses in AIOS, APAO, VRSI as chief instructor and has been the part of number of instruction courses as co-instructors in conferences like American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), ESCRS, APVRSI, APAO. He has 42 research papers in his name in various national and international forums.
Dr. Gupta has trained numerous ophthalmologists, delivered various lectures in national, state and district level conferences and CME Programmes. He has presented difficult cases at various forums and has always been at the forefront of contributing to the development of ophthalmology.